Sunday, July 21, 2013

Perfection


I did a shoot for a client at the beach tonight. I watched them pull in and looked over to excitedly wave from my car...and instead I saw the mom take a big sigh. Not like a good sigh but almost a not excited sad sigh. I asked her right away how the kids were and she told me it had been a rough afternoon. We set out to have an adventure and I was trying to assess the dynamic. After a few set ups and shots I asked her if she was okay....she said she was trying to let go of the idea of perfect pictures. 

Then I sighed. 

I, too, want to give you those magazine-worthy images but I am also realistic. I am less concerned about everyone smiling and looking at me as I am that you are simply with me, in the moment. We all have off days and we all have expectations...especially of showing off your family that you see as so imperfectly perfect. You want the world to see those dimples that your son inherited from you, or how much your little girl looks JUST like her dad or how much you love them. 

But here's the thing.....we will still see that. Chances are that your loved ones already know about the dimples and who looks like who and how fiercely they are loved....so before they check if your hair is in place or who is sitting where, they already have that warm fuzzy feeling just from seeing you. Because they love you....because they know you....because you are you. I also realize you know all of this and I am just someone you've known for five minutes telling you this.....but in those five minutes I've noticed your 14 month old is almost the size of your 3 year old and your husband's strong black wedding band and your daughter's perfectly round head and I've seen you carefully get your kids out of the car and grab a cardigan so they don't get cold and how you've convinced your three year old it was really his idea to take his shoes off. I've already begun to love you...even in just five minutes. 

And I came home tonight and stared before a screen full of images that I love....I stared at the most perfect images. Because they're you. 

So.....as with any part of life...I urge you to be present. To come to any situation with an open heart and to love your life, flaws and all. 

This mom taught me a lesson tonight...and I am beyond grateful for her honesty. It is a beautiful thing to have made some magic with them.

I hope you hug your babies tonight and every night before they outgrow your lap. I hope you love harder and deeper....and I hope you spend your life in the minutes so by the end of it you will have lived each day to the fullest.....because nothing in the world compares to your life.....nothing at all. 

xoxo,
Oh!

No comments :

Post a Comment